Lockdown extended by one month as Covid-19 cases, deaths rise
Dhaka, June 17: The present lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19) infections has been extended for another month. A notification was issued by the Cabinet Division on Wednesday (June 16) extending the ban from midnight of June 16 to midnight of July 15.
The notification said that considering the current situation of coronavirus infection (Covid-19) in the country, the lockdown has been extended from midnight of June 16 to midnight of July 15.
At the same time, six conditions have been laid.
The conditions are: -
1. The Deputy Commissioners (DCs) of dicstricts with high risk and rate of Covid-19 infection will be able to take effective measures, including lockdown, as per the rules to prevent infection in their respective areas in consultation with the concerned technical committee.
2. All government, semi-government, autonomous and private offices, banks and financial institutions will remain open in compliance with the health rules.
3. All tourist centers, resorts, community centers and recreation centers will be closed.
4. Social gatherings such as post-wedding ceremonies / walima, birthdays, picnics, parties, etc., political and religious ceremonies should be stopped.
5. Residential hotels, restaurants and food stalls will be able to sell / deliver food (takeway / online) from 6 am to 10 pm and serve half the number of customers.
6. The concerned authorities will ensure that all types of public transport carry half the capacity of passengers subject to proper hygiene.
The lockdown started at 6 am on April 5 this year as the coronavirus infection was increasing at an alarming rate. That 'loose' lockdown was pretty much ineffective.
Later, on April 14, an eight-day strict lockdown started from 6 am. Later, the period have been extended seven times with different conditions. The latest notification was issued by the Cabinet Division on June 6, extending the term of the lockdown for another 10 days. That period ended at midnight on Wednesday. This time the period of lockdown has been extended for another month.